|
In 1914, Pilgrim Congregational Church was established in downtown Chattanooga by The Rev. Charles Haven Myers and a group of about 100 people from First Methodist Church who sought doctrinal liberty and a church life with freedom from outside powers. After meeting in temporary spaces for several years, Pilgrim Church began construction of a new church building at the corner of Oak and Lindsay in 1921. The current church building at 400 Glenwood Drive was built in 1959.
In 1957, the Congregational Christian Church joined with the Evangelical and Reformed Church to create the United Church of Christ (UCC). Pilgrim Church became a member of the UCC in 1961.
In the 1960s, Pilgrim Church took a leading role in the Civil Rights Movement in Chattanooga, speaking out against racial inequality and prejudice.
In the 1970s, Pilgrim continued its leadership in the community by striving to bring about racial justice, equal rights, and ecumenical cooperation.
In recent years, Pilgrim Church has lived its mission and has grown as an inclusive and diverse community. In 2003, the Church declared itself an Open and Affirming Church in the United Church of Christ.
The Church has provided support for the homeless by helping bring the Interfaith Homeless Network to Chattanooga; by providing needed assistance and resources to a neighborhood elementary school; and by maintaining a food pantry which assists many area residents.
In February 2008, The Rev. Dr. David C. Brown was chosen as the pastor. Dr. Brown retired at the end of December 2014. Currently, The Rev. Dr. Marvin L. Morgan serves as Intentional Interim Pastor. |